Opera Obsessive

A place where the world of Opera is analysed, discussed and applauded -- and where discussion leads to understanding.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

The swallow's flight

La Rondine
by Giacomo Puccini


Cantava una lenta canzone
la musica strana
e una voce lontana
diceva così:
"Fanciulla, è sbocciato l'amore!
Difendi, difendi il tuo core!
Dei baci le sorrisi l'incanto
si paga con stille di pianto!"

A strange music
sang a slow song
and a distant voice
said:
"Little girl, love is in bloom!
Guard, guard you heart!
The enchanting of kisses and laughter
is paid with teardrops!"

- Magda to her friends about her adventure when she was a little girl -
on the same time forshadowing about the adventure that she is
about to have.

MAGDA
Pensa che il sacrificio
che compio in questo instante...
Think that the sacrifice
that I am making this moment...


RUGGERO
O mia divina amante!
O vita mia vita!
Oh my divine beloved!
Oh life of my life.


MAGDA
...io lo compi per te!
...I am making it for you.

...

MAGDA
Quando sarai guarito, te ne ricorderai,
Tu ritorni alla casa tua serena,
io riprendo il mio volo e la ia pena.
When you will be healed, you will remember,
You will return to your serene house,
I will retake me flight and my suffering.

RUGGERO
Amore...
My love...

MAGDA
Non dir' niente.
Che sia mio questo dolore.
Don't say anything.
That this pain shall be mine.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home